Alpinestars SMX-5 Boots
List Price: 239.95
Sales Price: $239.95
Alpinestars SMX-5 Boots
Color: Hi-Visibility Yellow, or Red
- Durable, high-tech micro-fiber upper construction offering a high level of flexibility
- Double injected PU shields the shin, ankle, calf, toe and heel from impact while minimizing abrasion
- Inner protection is given by a double injected panel connected to the heel counter, hidden beneath the outer shell and running up the outer ankle
- Quick drying polyamide lining is laminated with open cell foam and high density contoured padding to absorb shocks to the foot area
- The S-MX 5 boot is CE certified
- Innovative air vents at the ankle, heel and forefoot are covered with a specially designed mesh to provide unmatched levels of rider comfort
- Large ‘throat’ profile instep and Achilles flex bellows for superior flex and comfort
- MTP mesh liner and anatomical, removable, PU Foam foot bed keeps the foot cool and comfortable
- A fully vented version is also available in Black
- Innovative inner (medial) side entry opening/closure system that features an elastic mounted zipper with an extra wide Velcro® flap, to give a precise, comfortable fit and wide opening aperture for ease of access
- Highly ergonomic, lasting for ultra precise fit
- Exclusive compound rubber sole features structured shank reinforcement for added support to the arch area
- Interchangeable bi-injected PU toe slider with snap-in assembly
How To Measure for Alpinestars Boots and Shoes
- Order in accordance with your normal shoe size
- Refer to the conversion chart below to convert from US to Euro sizes
The Alpinestars S-MX 5’s are an excellent choice for the sport, sport touring and occasional track day rider that is looking for a high quality boot at a mid level price with all of the features and quality typical from Alpinestars. The uppers are made of a high tensile strength microfiber material with finished panel edges and double stitched seams. These boots are available in six different colorways, including this white black and red, but if you want anything but all black or all white you better hurry, many of the sizes in the colorful models are already selling out. As an additional option, the all black colorway is also available in a vented or perforated version.
If we start at the front of the boot, we have a reinforced toe box with a shifter pad and this unique toe slider. Most sliders are screw-in type if they’re replaceable. The screw-in type work well, but it can be very difficult to extract the screws if you let the pucks wear into the screw head. The sliders on these S-MX 5’s snap into place, and can be easily removed at any time by simply prying on the rear edge of the slider then pushing the slider toward the front of the boot. As we go up the foot we see the first of four areas of injected ventilation, and what Alpine calls flex bellows that improve your foot’s mobility and comfort. On the shin, you can see the double injected polyurethane armor that features the second vent.
As we go back down the lateral side of the boot we can see the vented external ankle protector. There’s also protection here that you can’t see. There is a hidden polyurethane panel that is connected to the heel counter, and travels up to protect the ankle. If you look at the back of the boot, you can see more of the flex bellows like we saw on the instep, nestled between the calf armor and the vented heel protection.
On the medial side of the boot, you will find the boot’s side entry system. If you unfasten the full length hook and loop flap, you can see the YKK zipper with a Velcro pull tab. This setup is unique in that the zipper is mounted to elastic panels, so the boot can have a very precise fit and still be easy to get on and off. If you look inside the boot, you can see the moisture wicking liner and the perforated replaceable insole.
Finally, let’s take a look at the outsole. The sole of the S-MX 5’s is very rigid. The compound used is very dense for shock absorption, and it is reinforced with a shank.
All in all, the Alpinestars S-MX 5 street riding boots are an excellent choice for the rider looking for a high level sport boot at mid-level pricing.